Friday, January 28, 2011

knitting lessons







I think as far back as I heard told- one of my great-grandmothers was a knitter. My mom's mom was a knitter too; and a crocheter, quilter, tatter, embroiderer... She produced blue-ribbon quality artwork (craft didn't seem to fit)... Whatever project she put her hands to, no matter how small or large the task- I guarantee you that the back of the piece was just as much artwork as the front. She was meticulous. I am so thankful to have some of her artwork... from small, delicate doilies- to a queen sized bed cover, knitted with such fine thread, it is more like lace.

My great-grandmother continued to knit, even after she went blind. Most probably what we call macular degeneration. My mom always marveled at that story- as I marveled at her with all the knitting projects she continued with, well after her own macular degeneration and retinal issues stole much of her sight. Sewing and knitting were my mom's two favorites, and in later years- she took mostly to knitting. Many prayer shawls came to being in her hands- bringing comfort to others through her faith community. While our children were younger- each was blessed with many a handcrafted wonder- from dolls to dresses, animal mittens to afghans- and more. 'I just can't sit and do nothing!' was her sentiment. She had every reason to just sit; the osteoporosis ate away at her spine until it was an unstable stack, pinching off so many nerves. But she was content if she could have a couple 'sticks' and a ball of yarn. My mom had bouts with serious childhood illnesses- many keeping her in bed for days on end. Grandma taught mom how to knit to help her occupy those long and painful days of bedrest. Both women supported the troops through the Red Cross during 'THE war' by rolling bandages and knitting.

Grandma, gave me my first knitting lessons when I was a girl. It was not a natural talent for me. But since trying to crochet, and sew were even more disasterous, we stuck with knitting lessons. Even for how meticulous and gifted she was- she didn't get cross with me; we'd just try it again; and I was glad just to be with her. I never did quite get the hang of doing it her way- but I did find a way that worked, and was mostly the 'right' way....she was fine with me just trying it, and didn't get after me for not doing it the 'right way'.

But adolescence stole me away from the burgeoning talent. Just wasn't a 'cool'- teenage activity. Too many other things to do. So there sat my little collection of sticks-n-yarn.

College days came- I began to embrace the nerd in me; that, and I was in that 'lady in waiting for a prince' season- I picked up my sticks, and launched into the crazy world of knitting a scarf, an afghan- even a sweater! I am sure that both my mother and grandmother were glad to see me again pick up a form of my heritage in handcraft; but they wisely did not share that glee with me at that tender stage.

Life again came hard and fast. Sticks were packed away again, for years... Finally I began to get them out little by little, and even began to expand my numbers and varieties of sticks! By now my grandmother had passed on; and my mom graciously began to little by little, provide me we more sticks, and a ball of yarn here and there, and an occasional pattern... I still was not an artist on par with my grandmother or mother- but I kept at a project or twogoing, here and there.

Following in these women's knit-steps, these days I pretty much have a smaller knitting project near a chair, and a cloth bag set to grab if going somewhere which may provide opportunity to add a few more rows. As my mom and grandma, I don't like 'just sitting there'!

I think my grandmother was the quintessential handcrafter; she artfully dove into color, textures, patterns and more in several practical and beautiful venues of handcraft.... Mom was an amazing sewer and knitter, and was especially attracted to complex patterns- those created by changing colors, or ones created by combining the yarn to form different textures. She blessed us with afghans, sweaters, hats n mittens. They usually had knitted into them a picture, or a complex nordic pattern, or inticate Irish design.... We all have something in which to wrap up on a chilly day- warmed not only by the fiber of yarn, but the fiber of love as well.

Me, well- after big beginnings with afghans and such, my current projects are much smaller, easy to take along, faster to finish. Right now I am sticking with different style hats, mittens, socks, dishcloths... and am trying multiple pairs of animal-puppet mittens. Nice to have something on hand for birthday, holiday, shower gifts.... I have found the fun of felting as well, and even knitted some purses last year.

Once in awhile I am asked to help a beginner with a knitting project- I tell them I am glad to help- as long as they don't mind if I show then 'my way', and not the 'right way'. It will accomplish the same thing- which is fine if one wants to get it done in such a way that works- but not good if one is looking to be a classic knitter.

I am thankful my grandma was so patient with me- She allowed me to learn to knit with the idea that it was not only practical- but to be enjoyable. My mom never forced me into doing one of her favorite things- but allowed me to self discover in my own way and own time; and supported me in the craft with resources. I now have, in addition to my own collection of sticks and knitting ware, some of my grandma and mom's; it is wonderful to have these simple tools that were once held in their own hands, together creating beautiful heirlooms. Knitting patterns from many years ago, I now can enjoy- some are a bit of history in hand, some timeless, some outdated- but dear because I remember wearing them! Some I am using now, some I will continue to hold on to, well-because it is 'our history'.

How sweet to have had the relationship I had with my grandma; some of our most memorable spent close together, untangling another knitted-knot. He unconditional love was the greatest gift.

Mom's role was different- she was there to guide and direct me. Much of my early life we butted heads because we both had good doses of German-Irish blood in us- both head strong, but we were very different in a lot of our approaches to things. Through the years we learned to appreciate the differences more, and extend more grace.

In knitting, my two favorite elements are texture and color. I don't do so much with knitting patterns of colors. I just like color- I love the variegated yarns and watching its own pattern emerge as I knit-best of both worlds to me. The different feels of wood or metal needles, and various fibers of yarn- there is a sense of calm that one can get.


Even when there is an occasional knot of yarn- there is satisfaction in gently working it out. My grandma taught me the secret (and I had plenty of opportunities to practice with her back then!); the secret to getting the knot out is to gently pull to loosen the lengths. Don't keep pulling on this end and that end trying to force it.

Just a gentle pull, a little here, a little there, until the knot center is loosened- and then one can begin to see the pathway of the lengths, find an end point, and begin to work that end back out of the congestion of yarn. Going gently and steadily would get one father, more quickly, than trying to 'horse' the knot into submission. Rarely, there would be a knot that was set for life; in this case one has to learn to recognize the situation for what it is, and break the tie, cut it off completely (wasting as little as possible of the good yarn), tie the ends back together, and continue on course.

The children's mittens I am knitting now may be small, but I chose the patterns in part because of the new things for me to learn in doing them. Not only am I knitting to shape the mitten, but with each animal representation, there are new colors and patterns. Some of the stitches are completely new to me. I have found that it is best to keep my head around the 'big picture' of what I am doing, how it will look- keep at the pattern til I get to the next 'new/challenging' part and 'worry about it' once I get to it. Once at the challenging part, I take it one stitch at a time, referring to guides if needed, until I come back to a part of the pattern I recognize again. And, full of wonder- hold it up, and viola! There it is! (Most of the time- thankfully knitting is a forgiving handcraft, and if it is not as should be, I can always just rip it up back to before the goof and start over from there!)

Although I have not 'bullet-pointed' lessons in this, they are, shall I say 'knitted' into this blog- I will allow you the satisfaction of finding them for yourself, as I did. I am quite sure that I have much to still learn from my experiences in knitting. I am thankful to have such a gentle handcraft to do , and to have had such gentle hands introduce and encourage me.


No comments:

Post a Comment