Monday, January 31, 2011

"All Summer In One Day"








I can't exactly remember the grade, or the teacher (had to be in the 1960's though); we watched a film in school based on a Ray Bradbury story "All Summer In A Day". Besides being a bit of a freaky-film, it was memorable for me for several reasons. Probably as a youngster, the 'not fitting in' theme was the biggest.

The premise of the story is about a young girl, moved onto 'Venus'. Her class mates mock her recollections about life on earth, especially about seeing sunshine. The sun shining on 'Venus' comes rarely- can be any number of years before it shows itself, and then, only briefly. Her classmates speculate about the upcoming possibility of the sun's appearance; and in childish form, the classmates, particularly one boy, gets even more mean to the girl-- to the point of locking her in a room. That is about the time word gets out that the rain is slowing, and the elusive sunshine is at hand--- quickly the young girl is forgotten, as all the children, and their teacher are drawn outside to marvel... So taken in are they, the young girl is abandoned, left in the dark, alone...while everyone else is out side experience great exhilaration. (You can catch the film on Youtube.)



These days, I think the film gives a glimpse of some of what it is like to live challenged with Myalgic Encephelomyelitis. M. E. could be 'the 'bully', or even the unpredictability of sunshine on 'Venus'. In that, those wonderful minutes, hours, maybe a few days in a row of feeling optimally well -are so glorious amid the many other days, hours, minutes of feeling so ill, on so many levels...



Another view of similarity could be taken. There are many times, when the sun of life is out, others are taking advantage of it in fullness- and we are 'locked away by M.E.'...confined, ill, wondering if we will ever be up to catch a ray of that sunshine again; meanwhile we catch glimpses of others who seem to race by, we hear their voices of urgency, eagerness, happiness- We try to get our 'doors unlocked'- but can't budge. Sadly- slipping back into unconsciousness is almost a relief.



Some mistakenly believe we like lying there. But truly, the vast majority of M.E. sufferers are actually 'type A' personalities, wrapped in invisible lead blankets; who want very much to be up and about and running around with everyone else.




When moments of 'sun' dawn on us- a part of us wants to just soak it in, but instead we rush about with all we can muster- trying to get something, anything, done-before it disappears again, and we sink into darkness. As if a huge curtain rises and falls on our life, aside from our will; teasing us mercilessly.




Through decades of dealing with this phenomenon, I have been forced to consider what I value most. And to consider in times of light, and in darkness- what is the main thing.




As a Believer, I have learned that my 'comfort' isn't the main thing. The more concentrated I am on the removal of pain, the more I am concentrated on the pain, the more the pain becomes central.




Instead- God is more concerned for my character- learning and growing in my walk of faith, and knowledge of Him. So in light or dark, to what degree possible- I try to set my mind, heart, soul and body toward what He is teaching me; And how- even in my circumstance- with whatever I can offer to Him- I want to learn from Him, and I want to serve Him. Amazingly, a secondary benefit in this is pain reduction. ("...seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.' Matthew 6:33)




Along with this is the multiplicity of being 'productive'. For most of us long to be productive! Before we were struck down- we were known as productive people. Got a lot done, did it well, good work ethic...we liked being that way, others liked us that way...wasn't just about what we did, it was also a part of who we were. So, when that kind of productivity is no longer there- what is our value? ...Where did the people go...




Thankfully, as a Believer- the value I have, is simply that value which God places on me- because of Who He Is. In His gracious nature of being- He calls me valuable. Humbled by this- He will lift me up. ('Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.' James 4:10) Even when I am at my most 'useless' state to those around me, He loves and values me, just because- He says I am valuable. Wow- the very LORD of the universe and beyond...Creator of ALL... the One Who Breathes Life and Light..... He says- 'you matter, you are valuable, you are not forgotten, you have purpose---I AM at work, even as you are set apart to rest'.




His redemptive nature, applied to my circumstance, says that whether I am suffering or in moments of lucidity and energy- He is at work. He invites me to be apart of what He is doing, His way... To others, it may not look like much- but even while lying there, if I am at least some what aware- I can turn that time into a wonderful time- where I enter the Throne Room of Grace- and bring the sacrifice of praise to the Almighty; I can bring Him petitions on the behalf of loved ones, for those who have yet to know Him, for those in need, and those rejoicing...




I may still be a weak vessel lying there- but empowered by the Holy Spirit, I am transformed into a Humble Servant of a Great and Loving King. This brings rest to my soul and being, besides rest to my body. Let the Sonshine~



" Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment